Thursday, January 21, 2010

Some Observations

Today, as I went to purchase my usual Thursday night snack of diet pepsi and an orange, I encountered two of my favorite types of social observations: one of the "cultural stereotype", and another where real life mirrors a movie scene.

1. 7/11 (duh). A flood of hockey fans crowd the soda section. I browse the canned goods until it calms down. Just as I think the coast is clear, I hear him: "WOOO!" "WOOOO!" (Phonetically: Waaaooo. Waaaooo. Shouted in a very short and abrasive manor). It's Party Pete, the guy from out of town, often a really sweet kind of hombre, likes to hang with his buddies and have a brew at the game. Harmless and unabashedly Canadian, Pete's one true judgment-worthy flaw is his inevitable war cry. The short, brisk cheer of "WOOO" for no particular reason, aimed at not one person or group of persons specifically. Just a release, too great to contain, but too VAST to set free! Party Pete, you are a sky-train star and a downtown dunce on weekends. No hate-ons here though, just observations :)

2. You know that scene in Lost in Translation when Anna Farris' character is talking to Gionvanni Ribisi and ScarJo about diets and eating disorders, and her random music-producer-type friend interjects their convo with a comment about some "beat" he is composing? You know, he explains it all specifically and uses his mouth to demo the rhythm? Yeah, I passed a man doing that just now. Outside of DIX, ironically... The lady on the receiving end shared the same blank stare as Charlotte in LOT.

Gotta go. Larry David's waiting for me.

Scarlett Johansson Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment