Thursday, April 1, 2010

Counter Cult-ure

I should be doing Geography, but fuck, this is so much more interesting.



I remember first discovering Francine Dancer in 2001 whilst living in LA. We use to hang out at Cherokee Studios in the lounge, watching TV and eating treats from Whole Foods for HOURS. Between feasting our eyes and mouths, we would be entertained by stories from Cherokee's studio hay-days in the early 70s by the studio owners, the Robb Brothers and their lovely sister Susan. They told us stories about Bowie, Grace Slick, Fleetwood Mac and various other amazing superstars that only vaguely interested our young teen brains. Hell, we met Elliot Smith, Rod Stewart and Rick James within a 2 week period.

Unfortunately, this was not our source of entertainment. We had discovered LA public access TV, and with that, the phenomena that is Francine Dancer.

I know very little about this gypsy goddess; she was on Public Access TV in LA in 2001, and she is still on the air, apparently, as she has more recent videos I have found on youtube. I don't care if its ironic or not, nor if its some sort of fucked up LA cult thing (which would not surprise me). To me, Francine Dancer is special. She represents a very hilarious time in my life, and each time I gaze upon her hefty pink frame, I am immediately taken back to 1972, via 2001, and my weirdo teen years. It also will forever be my "go to" funny youtube clip when I have nothing else funny to post on my facebook or twitter, but am in a silly mood.

PS- this video reveals a lot about Francine I'm afraid, which is why I'm not going to watch the whole thing.



God bless you Francine, you are fabulous to me.

1 comment: