Sunday, January 2, 2011

OMBB

I finally get it! I finally understand why the Old Man Blues Band is such a universal phenomenon!

To me, a 20-something musician moderately educated in the history of music, the Old Man Blues Band is somewhat of an inevitable destiny for most musicians. Its like a funny joke, no matter what or how well you do in music, the punch line is that you will eventually end up playing the blues at some shitty bar on a Thursday night. I will never be an old man, but imagine myself somewhat akin to the singer in Lost in Translation's Tokyo hotel band "Sausalito"- singing standards, lookin garish. Thats what I think! Thats what my ignorant little brain has solidified as a personal philosophy.

So really, what this blog is about is my epiphany of why the blues is such an omnipresent in so many musicians lives. Think about it- no matter who you are playing with (unless they are from another planet) you all know how to lay down a BLUES JAM. Hexatonic, somewhat swung, curvy notes. Smoke. Whiskey. THE BLUES. It's inherent! Everyone knows it from birth. Life blood. Ya know?

Long story short, the blues are just always satisfying to play because everyone GETS it. It has stood the test of time and will always stay the same. And because you inherently know this, it feels the most natural, enhancing its appeal to not only player but also listener! There ya go.


(I do realize I may reference Ghost World a little too much, but remember the scene when Thora Birch first discovers Skip James via Steve Buscemi's record collection? Its like that! She gets it! BECAUSE IT WAS ALREADY IN HER!)

2 comments:

  1. I hope I don't end up as a Thursday night musician; think positively! I'd be content if I wasn't in a band and just doing studio work; here's hoping anyway.

    That said, I agree with the universal nature of the blues.

    There is a really terrible video of me playing some 12 bar blues crap on youtube which I won't show you. Also, I don't think my name is tagged so don't bother looking it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there's nothing wrong with being a Thursday nighter, i'm actually excited for it! As long as I'm singing and not playing bass haha! I sound like shit when I sing the blues right now- my voice is too nasally.

    I need a good few decades to age it with whiskey and cigarettes. Or whatevs.

    SHOW ME.

    ReplyDelete